Think about it.
We use lists to help remember what needs to be done in order to live happy, healthy, productive lives.
But how many of us use lists as a reminder to stop behaviours that make us feel icky?
Making a mental note about them, is one thing. Committing that to paper, is quite something else.
So, I've decided it's time to create a 'stop-doing-this-shit' list. This is what it looks like.
Shit I need to stop doing:
- Telling myself I haven't got time then proceeding to waste it on meaningless faff
- Telling myself 'I can't afford it' when it's something I need for my health and/or business
- Spending way too much time checking, rechecking, re-rechecking, then re-re-rechecking every damn thing I write
- Peeping at emails when I have no intention of replying or taking immediate action on them
- Doubting my experience, abilities or knowledge because I'm looking for excuses to stay small
- Brushing off or dismissing compliments because I don't want to come off as a conceited a-hole
- Not making enough time to do fun stuff (away from work) because for me work IS fun
- Expecting others to read my mind and magically get a sixth sense for when they've pissed off
- Checking my phone/social media/emails before I've done at least 3 hours of deep work
- Having 217 tabs open on my desktop (OK, I'm exaggerating, but still)
- Trying to juggle cooking while working because burnt food is a real pain in the ass
- Eating a whole bag of almonds in one sitting then, 5 hours later, wondering why my belly hurts
- Trying to do 'all the things' by myself just because I'm an annoying polymath who thinks I can do it all
- Munching, nibbling, chewing, licking, smelling any food substance 3 hours before going to bed
Now I'm not saying I'm going to never ever do any of these things again (I'm human and human's mess-up, such is life).
I'm just going to let this list serve as a reminder of the things I need to cut out.
A consciousness check, if you like.
Hey, maybe you'd like to write a 'stop-doing-this-shit' list too, if you don't have one already. Give it a whirl.